Dough– (This recipe makes enough for 2 pies, I often freeze the second and use at a later time)
3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup plus 6 tbsp. powdered sugar
1 cup plus 2 tbsp. butter, room temp
1 lemon, zested
4 large egg yolks
medium pinch of salt
seeds from 1 vanilla bean
2-4 tbs[. cold milk or water
1. Cream butter, powdered sugar and salt. Add flour, vanilla seed, zest and yolks.
2. When the mixture comes together, add the cold milk/water.
3. Split into 2 portions, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
4. Preheat the oven to 37o. Remove 1 portion and roll dough on a
lightly floured surface until 1/4-1/8 inches thick. Place dough in a
deep dish pie pan. Lay a piece of parchment paper over the dough and
fill with pie weights or dried beans.
5. Bake 15 minutes and let cool completely.
7 large egg yolks
7 whole eggs
2 cups plus 2 tbsp. sugar
1 1/14 cups plus 2 tbsp. citrus juice, plus zest from fruit
1 1/4 cups unsalted butter, room temp
1. Put yolks, whole eggs, sugar and zest into a thick bottomed pan
and whisk over very low heat. Whisk about 4 minutes, or until the
mixture begins to thicken.
2. Change to a wooden spoon and add the butter, stirring
continually. As soon as it coats the back of the spoon, remove from
3. Cool slightly, whisk once more and pour through a sieve. Let cool completely.
Note- I have only tried this recipe with lemons but I
am sure it would be lovely with other citrus fruits. Also, if you love
a good meringue, it is a great way to use the remaining whites. Just
add 1 cup plus 2 tbsp sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Lastly,
this tart is wonderful with fresh peaches or blackberries on top!